Lung diseases have become very common in the present times. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is one such lung disease that has been affecting quite a few. With deteriorating air quality and increasing tobacco usage, this disease is seen across the board.
In simple terms, COPD is a lung disease that causes breathlessness. An individual suffering from COPD experiences difficulty in breathing as his airflow is blocked.
The two common conditions that lead to COPD are:
Emphysema: The lung has small air sacks attached to bronchial tubes which allow the flow of air. These sacks are known as alveoli. Prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke and other irritating gases damage the alveoli.
Chronic bronchitis: Chronic bronchitis is a condition that results in the inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes. This leads to increasing cough and mucus production.
Diagnosis and Detection of COPD
It is a simple breathing test conducted to assess pulmonary functioning. It measures the amount and speed of air that is inhaled and exhaled. It helps in understanding breathing patterns. This is one of the most effective medical tests to detect COPD along with Asthma and fibrosis.
Are you at risk of COPD?
- Exprosure to tobacco smoke is the leading reason.
- Over exposure to chemical fumes, pollutants and harmful gases also damage the lungs.
- Respiratory infections like pnuemonia and bronchitis increase the risk of COPD.
Signs that call for medical assistance
- Can’t take a deep breath or trouble taking deep breaths.
- Mucus or excessive sputum
- Dyspnea on exertion
- Respiratory infections
- Regular coughing and wheezing.
Line of treatments
- Medication to treat cough and wheezing.
- Medication to control mucus production.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation programmes at home to improve the health of the lungs.
- Treatment for lung infections.
- Quit smoking or avoid coming in contact with smoke around.
- Follow proper safety measures at work to avoid direct inhalation of harmful gases.
- Avoid coming in contact with pollutants
- Regular Excercise
COPD Is gradually increasing and proving to be a threat to the present generation. Lung infections and diseases turn out to be very serious and in some cases can be fatal too. So preventive measures are the best way out for heathy lungs.
Neogen are one of the best home health care services in Trivandrum.